Last week I worked on Billy Joel. Yes, he's a good friend of mine. We chatted about his music while I was cleaning his teeth. Oh yeah, we're tight like that....
For those of you who don't know me well, I am a dental hygienist. This means that I clean people's teeth for a living. It also means I have a very unique view of people when they're sitting in my chair. There's an odd thing I've noticed in the ten years I've been doing this. That is that people look quite different when they are laying back and have a pair of stylish, dark protective eyewear on. Call it an active imagination, or maybe just boredom, but a lot of my patients start looking like celebrities to me when they are positioned like that. Some of them have a very striking resemblance, as a matter of fact!
Last week was a banner week in that I had two celebrities: Billy Joel and Meryl Streep. Some of my other famous clients have been Harrison Ford, Keanu Reeves, Jennifer Garner, Tom Cruise (several of him, actually), Mel Gibson, Al Gore (in a kind of crazy, hairy way), and the boisterous, noisy pop on East Coast Choppers.
It is really quite mesmerizing to see them lying there, oblivious to my fascinated stare. But then I sit them up, and POOF the illusion's gone. Glasses off and sitting upright they are suddenly Joe or Jane Blow again, and I am wondering how I had even thought that they looked like someone else before.
Ah well, it was fun while it lasted....
No comments:
Post a Comment