Hi. My name is Heather, and I'm a Shopaholic.
I just finished reading Sophie Kinsella's novel "Confessions of a Shopaholic." It's the story of a girl (Becky) who LOVES to shop, especially for designer clothes, until she finds she's way over her head in debt and doesn't know how to get out of it. A very light-hearted look at a very serious issue. She simply can't resist a good deal. Or even a bad deal, if she wants it badly enough! The funny twist is that she is a journalist for the magazine "Successful Savings," so she spends her days writing advice on financial matters, and spends all her money on clothes. As the story progresses, she tries to get herself out of debt by changing her spending habits and making more money, all with disastrous and hilarious results.
It was so fun to laugh at Becky's compulsions while thinking, "Well, I would never do that."
But then my mind wanders back to the coat closet, now being occupied by not one, but THREE new coats. All belonging to me.
This is my rational for there being three new coats belonging to me hanging in the coat closet:
1. It's been years since I bought myself a coat.
2. So I'm making up for it now.
3. They were all on sale.
4. Except the one that I used a gift card to buy (well, half of it anyway).
5. Umm.... Eric has way more than I do!
6. They were so CUTE!!
Then my mind also wanders to the recent incident in Beehives where I was supposed to teach them a lesson on Budgeting.....What's a budget? I am probably the last person in the world to be considered an expert, or even a slightly experienced consult, in that matter!! I managed to grapple through that lesson, relying heavily on the wonderful advice given by the other more capable adults in the room. (Of course, when we got home from church Heidi was looking at the Budget worksheet I had handed out in class and asked, "What is income?" So I guess I didn't do that great!)
I guess I'm not that different than Becky after all. The problem is, I don't get a cute, magical solution to curing all my financial problems. I have to do it the hard way.
But I have been getting lots of fun compliments on my new coats....
4 comments:
I can't wait for this movie to come out, by the way!! Too cute!
I'm also a shopaholic. Poor Clint tries and tries to explain budgeting to me but I only see the dollar signs for some reason. Maybe if I had been in your class on Sunday I would have got it! I too am very excited for this show to come out!
We should have a girls night and all go see the movie!
And, you need lots of coats-we live in Seattle it rains all the time and is always cold, even in the summer at night.
Heather,
You amaze me for telling the world about being a shopaholic. As you are well aware, I am in that category as well. I can't wait to get the book you mentioned and give it a read. I know there is no magical cure for a shopaholic so I guess I will be a sharing shopaholic - who knows who will be a lucky receipient.
To a fellow shopaholic I say where is the next bargain or sale.
Love to my favorite person and kindred spirit!
Patty Lee
Post a Comment