I have always been intrigued by Mary, the mother of Jesus Christ. What kind of woman must she have been to be entrusted with the incredible task of bearing and raising the Savior of the world? She must have been one of our Father in Heaven's choicest spirits. This must have been true about Joseph as well, to be humble enough to raise Jesus as his own, and to love and honor his mother, Mary.
Elder Robert J. Matthews said this about Mary:
"When we consider the strong influence that a mother has on the personality and attitude of a young child in the home, we sense the responsibility that our Heavenly Father gave Mary by entrusting her with the rearing of his chosen and Beloved Son. This would require adequate training of Mary, both as a premortal spirit and as a young woman in mortality. Notwithstanding her pre-earth assignment, Mary would not have been worthy to bear the Son of God and give him a body of flesh and blood unless she was clean and pure in mortal life."
When I first read the quote above from Elder Matthews, I was overcome with a feeling of admiration, respect, and love for this very choice daughter of God. I am so thankful to have such an amazing example of a woman to study from the scriptures. She truly exemplified faith, obedience, humility, and love.
Finally, Elder Bruce R. McConkie said this about Mary:
"As there is only one Christ, so there is only one Mary. And as the Father chose the most noble and righteous of all his spirit sons to come into mortality as his Only Begotten in the flesh, so we may confidently conclude that he selected the most worthy and spiritually talented of all his spirit daughters to be the mortal mother of his Eternal Son."
I recently wrote a short story which was posted on my writing group's website for Christmas. It is a portrayal of the story of Jesus' birth, as seen through the eyes of Joseph's donkey, who carried Mary on his back on their journey to Bethlehem. I really enjoyed the opportunity which it gave me to think more about what Mary and Joseph must have really been like, what their daily life would have looked like, what the challenges were that they faced as they made this necessary trip to Bethlehem. It made me appreciate even more the sacrifices that they each made, in order to bring our Savior into the world. It also helped strengthen my testimony of our Father in Heaven's plan for each of us, and the joy which we can receive by following the example of Jesus Christ.
I am so thankful for a Father in Heaven who loved us enough to send his Only Begotten Son into the world, who would provide the way that we can return to live with them again one day. Jesus Christ truly is the light of the world, and I hope that I can share that more fully with those around me, even if it is through the simple means of sharing a sweet bedtime story.
I hope that you have time to enjoy my story:
"Samuel's Stable" by Heather White


No comments:
Post a Comment