Sunday, December 8, 2013

On the Edge


This past week has given new meaning to the expression hanging by your fingernails.

Just before the Thanksgiving break, my boss informed us that he and his family would be relocating to Virginia, that the practice was already in the works of being sold, and that our new boss would be starting after the break.

Say....WHAT?!

It was a major bombshell.  None of us saw it coming, so we were all in shock over the Thanksgiving break.  I was very nervous about the entire situation.  Change can always be scary, especially an unexpected one.  Plus, I really liked working with my boss.  I considered him to be a friend, as well as an employer.

I met the new doctor when I went back to work on Tuesday.  She is wonderful, personable, and a fantastic dentist.  I am excited to get to work with her.

I am still recovering from the shock of the change, however.  The days have been longer and more stressful, because everyone is still trying to figure out what is expected, how to do things, and what needs to be changed.  There is an adjustment period, for sure.

So I was a little stressed from work this week.  I was also stressed from home.  I've gotten behind on taking care of the house, the kids are grouchy and temperamental, I have two performances coming up next weekend with my singing group, The Serenades, I have some writing deadlines to meet, and I was just asked to speak in church next week.

On our way home from church today, Erica was screaming at the top of her lungs about being hungry.  Of course, there was nothing to offer her and she went ballistic.  It was all I could do to safely make it home without throttling my beloved five-year-old.  It went downhill from there.  Making the lunch, cleaning up, getting everyone ready to head back to the church again for a meeting with the Bishop, and changing multiple stinky pants, all put me over the edge.

I came back home in a daze, with my head fuzzy and spinning.  All I could think of was "Where is the chocolate?!"  Nothing.  We have no chocolate!  How could I be so ill-prepared for a melt-down?!  I found the leftover remains of some ancient jelly beans.  I am hoping they are not clear from Easter, but chances are pretty good that they are.

I just finished off the bag of jelly beans.

In case you were wondering if they helped: No, jelly beans are not a chocolate substitute.

I think that I better file down my nails to prepare for another week of dangling on the edge.

1 comment:

Thelma said...

Heather! Next time call me. I ALWAYS have chocolate for just this kind of situation. You are doing everything wonderfully well. Keep your chin up.