Saturday, December 14, 2013

Violins and Washing Machines

What do violins and washing machines have in common....?
 
This isn't a trick question.  They actually don't have anything in common, other than both having malfunctioning issues in the White house at the same time.
 

Tomorrow night is our ward's annual Christmas Musical Fireside, in which I have been performing with my singing group for the last five-plus years.  This year I am also playing in a violin trio.
 
On Thursday night I was at our violin practice, getting ready for tomorrow's event.  When I opened my violin case I was shocked to discover that my A string was completely broken.  It had snapped at the base.  I had just seen Ethan messing with my violin prior to leaving for the practice, so I suspected that he unwittingly broke the string while loading the violin back in its case.
 
I took my violin in to the music store the next morning, only to discover that all the strings were about ready to snap and the bridge was out of alignment.  It would need to be restrung, and the bridge properly placed.  The only problem was that they send that kind of work out, and it would not be back in time for our fireside.
 
Rather than risk a catastrophic mishap during my Sunday performance (I could just imagine strings snapping all over the place, heading right for my eyeball), I opted to rent a violin instead.
 
Eric would say that was a huge mistake.
 
I took the new violin home, pulled it from it's fancy new case, admired the beautiful sheen on the instrument, coated the pristine horse-hair bow with rosin, and proceeded to play.  I couldn't believe the sound that came from that instrument!  The sound waves just seemed to resonate from the box, creating a tone that I had never been able to accomplish before in my life.  I actually sounded half-way decent playing the thing, rather than squeaking along like I usually do!
 
Now I want this violin.
 
Eric isn't too happy about this new musical enlightenment.


I love this photo I found online, picturing the first washing machine in Eatonville, WA. Maren Christensen's new Thor machine makes laundry so effortless, she can even read while she works, ha ha!

As for our other malfunctioning dilemma, our washing machine has been emitting warning signs of an upcoming breakdown for a while now.  Finally this week, we noticed that while the machine still ran, it wasn't agitating anymore.  Our clothes, towels, and more particularly, the dirty diapers, were no longer coming out clean.
 
We needed a new machine pronto.
 
Eric first investigated what it would take to repair it, but quickly discovered that the machine wasn't worth the money it would take to fix it.  A new machine then, right before Christmas, when savings accounts are at their lowest.  Ugh!
 
The good part of utility breakdown at this time of year is the fabulous sales.  We got a great deal on a brand new set of front loading Samsung machines, complete with steam cycle and sterilization options, perfect for those stinky diapers!
 
While we were purchasing the new washer and dryer, Eric saw me eyeing the stainless steel refrigerators and ranges and shook his head.
 
Maybe next year....
 
In the meantime, I will be playing sweet music from a sweet violin, hoping to win him over for at least one more purchase....

No comments: