Monday, July 20, 2009

Remember My Name

I have a problem with names. No matter how hard I try, I just can't seem to keep an orderly compartment for them in my overly-cluttered brain.



I'm not sure how this problem started. I actually used to be very good with names, back in high school. I prided myself in being able to remember just about any name that was introduced to me. Well, that department has long since filed for bankruptcy. And I don't think there will be a bail-out any time soon!



I typically see about eight patients a day, so I see a fair number of names come and go in my chair. As I look at the schedule in the morning, I see a lot of names I recognize, but I just can't seem to put the name and face together. To my mortification, the girls at work are able to talk about the upcoming patients with ease. "Oh, Tom's coming in! Great! I'll have to ask him how his fishing trip went!" Or "I really need to get that pickling recipe from Sheila today!" All from looking at the schedule. I feel so stupid. Why can't I do that? Sure, I know them when I see them.....I remember full conversations, as well as treatment plans under way, but can I for the life of me remember their name?!



My work is across the street from a Safeway, and I am continually running into my patients there during my lunch break. They usually look at me with a I-think-I-know-you-but-I-can't-figure-out-from-where kind of look. I attribute this to the fact that I am not walking around in a white lab-coat, gloves, mask, and protective eye-wear. It makes me a little harder to recognize. But of course, I can't even greet them with a "Hello Jan!" because I can't remember their name. I must resort to the "Hiiiiii! How aaaare you?!"



Since I am such a ditz in the name department, I am always impressed when someone remembers my name. It makes me feel honored, as a matter of fact. I am generally a sit-on-the-side-lines-hope-no-one-notices-me type of person. So when someone goes out of their way to remember who I am, I am flattered.



The other day when I was bringing a patient back to my chair she called me by my name. I immediately felt great, and it made the entire appointment a positive experience. After she left, I told my boss Kristine, that that was my favorite part of my job -- getting to know the patients and feeling like I have made a difference in their lives. I mentioned that my previous patient had even remembered my name. Kristine then pointed to the bright, shiny name tag pinned to my chest and said with a smile, "Well, it couldn't have been due to that!"



Duh.

No comments: