Friday, July 10, 2009

The Jobs Your Mother Never Told You About

I had all these plans of things I wanted to accomplish while my kids were gone, visiting family in Idaho. Mostly the plans consisted of cleaning out their rooms, and painting Ethan and Elise's room. The cleaning out business is always best done when children are absent. There are inevitably invaluable treasures which they feel must be rescued from the "donate" pile, or what's even worse, the "get this crap in the garbage" pile.



The last two days were spent working on Ethan and Elise's room. Two huge boxes, four garbage bags, and a trip to Good Will later, the task is finally complete. Next task: painting. Unfortunately I have run out of steam. Yes, here I am dinking around on the computer rather than tackle that almost insurmountable task. I have discovered that trying to complete any chore of a lengthy duration is next to impossible with my two "babies" mulling around downstairs unattended. It's like having twins. They are into anything and everything, battling each other to the death over who has the best access to the baby gate at the front door, and needing constant attendance to their poopy pants and bottomless pits of tummies.



So the room will remain unpainted. I feel bad about it. The room was previously Heidi and Elise's together, but Heidi was promoted to the tiny little room that can only hold one bed. All by herself. She is in heaven. So poor Ethan is stuck in a cotton-candy pink room, with adorable white accents and stuffed animals coming out the ears.



Well, soon enough he can be swimming in his neutral, gender-friendly green room. Maybe next week, or next year....



So now while I sit typing, I am waiting for my date with the pizza delivery-man. I should be cooking, or cleaning, or doing laundry, or some such busy nuisance that we mothers are eternally plagued with. Surely that can wait until next week, or next year....?

2 comments:

Susie said...

Those icky jobs for sure, and I never put them on the top of the list. So glad you were able to tackle some of thing things you wanted to get done though.

The Norlie Family said...

I so feel ya on the painting thing. I finally picked a color for Garrett's room, bought curtains and decorations, and still haven't done anything about it. And now that I'm pregnant I probably wont do anything about it. Oh and don't feel bad about not cooking, I only cooked twice last week!