Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Paralyzed Pianists

Since I was in a gripe-session kind of mood yesterday, I failed to report on the kids' piano recital from last night. So, here's the report!


It has been a struggle to get the kids to practice the piano this spring. They are very reluctant, and if I don't get on their case, they end up goofing off instead of playing the songs they need to practice.


This year the annual piano recital seemed to sneak up on us. I admit it, I should have been more diligent getting the kids practicing. About a month before the recital I threatened the kids (falsely, but we won't tell!) that their teacher wanted the recital songs memorized by their next lesson. It wasn't a real falsehood, she did want them memorized! Ethan took the threat very seriously. He practiced and practiced and got both his songs memorized by the time they went to their next lesson. Heidi procrastinated until the day before. Needless to say, hers weren't.


Since then Heidi has been working on her pieces off and on, but not consistently enough to get a solid memorization. Ethan thought he was done, so he didn't try so hard.


So the day of the recital came. I had to work that day, but I left strict instructions for them to work on them until I got home. They did, and were even getting dressed for the recital when I got home. They both said they were ready, cool as cucumbers. I was still nervous for them, but I thought it would be fine....


I asked them if they wanted to bring their books, just in case. Neither said they needed it. So we left the books at home. I was feeling pretty good because of their cool confidence.


Heidi was the second to perform. She got through the first song easily enough. The second had a few bumps. Then near the end she forgot a passage and she froze. I could tell she wasn't sure what to do next. She ended up making up the notes and just ending on a chord. It was a little fumbled, but she pulled it off. I could see her embarrassed grimace when she returned to her seat.


Ethan was the next to the last to perform. He walked up to the piano and announced his pieces, then sat down and froze. He couldn't think of how the song started. His teacher tried to find the starting notes, just from memory, but it didn't work. Then she looked at me and said, "Hum the song, Mom!" I, of course, froze as well!! I couldn't for the life of me think of how the song started!! She had him go to his next song, then come back again. He still couldn't remember the first one so she rifled through her music drawer and pulled out the precious music! She had him play it once with the music, then do it again without!! (She's such an awesome teacher!)


After the recital the kids told me they would never leave their music at home again for the recital. I told them next time they shouldn't be worried about a back-up plan, but be a little more prepared instead!!


The kids always wonder why these little recitals are so important. Why do they have to memorize the songs? I hope they can learn that it is such a good experience for them. It is a wonderful talent to be able to perform in front of an audience. Stage fright is not usually easy to overcome. It takes practice to be able to do it. And then when you perform well, after having rehearsed and rehearsed, it is a real feeling of accomplishment. You know that you worked really hard for something, and you were able to shine! And not only do you get to enjoy the pleasure of the performance itself, you get to share a very special part of yourself as well!

1 comment:

Diana said...

Wow, talk about flashback for me! My worst recital was just a few years before I stopped playing. I had a Bach minuet to play, memorized, because it was the recital before festival. I got through most of the piece and then...it was like outer space had entered my brain. I could not think of anything! I tried to find it three or four times, then did some sort of funky bass line and ended with the chord. Talk about embarrassing. Oh well, I survived. That is a good lesson to learn as well--no matter how much I was ashamed in that moment and the moments after, I lived to tell the tale. Life goes on, whether we practice our piano music or not!