Thursday, June 18, 2009

Let There Be Light!

I have recently been trying to improve my photographic skills by learning more about the functions on my camera. For many years I operated on a strictly point-and-shoot basis, utilizing only the camera's automatic functions. But now I am trying to learn all about shutter speed, f-stops, and apertures, as well as the proper use of a flash. It is turning out to be a long process. Sometimes I get frustrated and quickly turn back to an automatic setting, but I am gradually adjusting.
Since I have been experimenting a lot, I have also gotten some pretty funny shots -- of the kids especially. I love catching all of Erica's funny expressions. She's such a character! The pictures below were from different settings with a prolonged flash I was trying to turn off. The flash kept going anyway, blinding Erica, and I got some pretty hilarious expressions.



I love this one. You can just see her belly-laugh over it!


She's like a moth....the light is so bright, it hurts, yet she can't look away!



This one is just really cool. It looks like I got all artsy or something, but really it was just a slow shutter-speed in combination with her movement.

No comments: