I am a collector.
Others may choose to call it something else, like a packrat. I'd say the definition is subject to interpretation.
All of my collections are dear to me. I would have a hard time letting go of anything I spent so much time putting together. The problem is that, as a collector, I have certain tendencies that are more than a little frustrating to my dear hubby who has to pack and move these items every several years.
A big weakness for me is dishes. I love dishes. Any and all kinds. Usuable ones and decorative ones. I have them all over my house. I am probably the only person I know who uses dishes as artwork in almost every room (my bedroom included!)
My china hutch contains three full sets of dishes. Two are for service of eight, and one for service of ten. None of these are my everyday service-ware, either. Those two sets (one ceramic, one plastic) are contained in the kitchen.
Of course, to go along with my wide assortment of dishes I must have a wide assortment of tablecloths and linens! What's really bad is that I have most of the tablecloths in two sizes, so that when I set up two tables at once, they will both match. I know, overkill. You see, this is the bad tendency I was referring to. Why have just one of something you like, when you can have two of every possible color and fabric?!
My collections do not end there, oh no!I also love to collect movies of books I love. One of my passions are Jane Austen novels. I have almost every movie-version of "Pride and Prejudice" known to man! My favorites are the BBC period productions. They are usually the most accurate portrayals of the original books, which is important to me. Changing too much there is like sacrilege!
Some other collections, which I will not even attempt to document through photographs are:
Books: I love having books around me. I think it's important to always have good books readily available. I grew up never lacking anything to read, it was always an encouraged and valued past-time, and I want to pass that on to my children as well. I have every kind imaginable. Novels, self-help, children's, young adult fiction, references, religious, classical literature....lots. And Eric's back can attest to that!
Crafts/Hobbies: I've got this stuff coming out at the seems!! Scrapbooking, paper-crafting, sewing, crocheting, painting, you name it, I've done it and got it! And all these hobbies have their own assortment of varying tools and supplies.
There are some things, though, that even Eric wouldn't argue with being a satisfying collection....

4 comments:
You would have gotten along well with my mother-in-law, she loved to set a beautiful table and had about 14 sets of plates to do it with. I have to admit that it is kind of fun at times, but I am a minimalist at heart so it doesn't happen very often.
I freaking LOVE dishes! One day I will own a china hutch and I will fill it up and it will be a beautiful thing!
I am a little kooky for dishes myself. I REALLY want to have that P & P/Austen collection. I have started to work on it....but I am definitely inspired by yours!!! I just read a cute little chick-lit book - light summer read anyway - called Austenland. You might enjoy it, too! -Sara
I love that book too! I tell you, ANYTHING related to Jane Austen and I'm there! :) I really love Shannon Hale. She is one of my favorite authors!
Post a Comment