
At our last Book Club meeting we got onto the subject of pedicures (don't ask me how, these conversations just seem to evolve....) I revealed the fact that NO I have never had a pedicure before. Shocking. Unless they are hurting, my feet are just generally a part of my body I don't consider on a daily basis. I have no opposition to a pedicure, just never have done it.
********
Well the girls were in shock. It's the most relaxing thing, you feel so pampered, it really isn't gross, the environment really is clean, all points were canvased. So, I thought, maybe one of these days I'll try it.
********
A couple days ago I had a childless 30-minute interval to spare, so I decided to go ahead and put this pedicure thing to the test.
********
Okay, I admit it, I'm sold.
********
I think this will become a new indulgence for me (as if I need any more of those!) I walked in, a little nervous, but excited at the same time. There was a gal there who immediately addressed what I needed. I could only understand about half the words she said, and basically repeated everything twice, but eventually communication was successful. Once I admitted this was my first time doing this she understood why I didn't instinctively know what she was saying, and she was great at leading me through the process. I selected a deep purpley-red for my polish and followed her down the aisle to these fabulous chairs set up with a whirl-pool of heaven for my feet. I got myself settled in and prepared to be pampered.
********
Right next to me was a woman who walked in shortly after I did. I felt bad for the little gal that had to work on her. "The chair is in the wrong position, I just can't get it right, doesn't it lean back more? I mean, I have a bad back. Oh! That water's way too hot, plus it's swirling too much, can't we cool it down?" The list went on....Later on I peaked over as her nails were getting filed down. The girl actually got out an electric dremmel-type tool and shaved them down! Images from "Dumb and Dumber" kept popping in my head! (If you don't know what I'm referring to, then you need to educate yourself a little more in the goofy-movie department!)
********
Aside from the entertainment sitting next to me, I quite enjoyed myself. I flipped through the pages of a glossy magazine, something about Stars' Style -- you know, showing how to get the designer look of a movie star for only $300 -- whatever. I didn't even know that my feet and calves hurt until she started massaging all the little aches and pains away.
********
All the customers were chatting with each other, even though they didn't know one another, talking about who's high school graduations they're going to this weekend, etc. It was like a step back in time, when everyone knew everyone else, and all the local gossip was passed around at the local beauty shop.
********
After my pampering was complete I was instructed to go up front where there was a "drying" station, with UV lights to cure the polish. Unfortunately, I was so greased up from my massage, not to mention I still had those silly spongy things they put between your toes to keep the polish from smearing, that I did an amusing combination of slipping and hobbling down the entire aisle.
********
Now I am enjoying my new toes. They've never looked so good! I think this is an experiment I will have to repeat, only next time I would like to go with some girlfriends. It was fun to people-watch, but I wouldn't mind having a companion with me who has a tad bit better hygiene!
5 comments:
I've only had a pedicure a few times, but they are so relaxing, and more fun with friends. Let me know next time you go, I'd love to join you. Also, must say I LOVE red toenails! Awesome.
I'm glad you enjoyed your first pedicure. I also like the way you put a positive spin on a not so good situation! How can people complain so much when they are supposed to be relaxing?
I am going in a few weeks with a bunch of moms from my mom's group for pedicures and then we are having dessert at a fondue place afterwards!! A pregnant womans dream come true especailly since it is getting hard to reach my toes.
I <3 pedicures! They're the best! We should totally do this for a girls night out!
Scream Yea for pedicures:) I love your feet:) You deserved it, all mom's need a pedicure a few times in their lifetime:)
So glad you had a great experience for the first time. Love the RED polish. Your feet are probably loving you so much. I feel as you did about getting a pedicure and I haven't gotten one yet. I think you sold me on one. Thanks~
Post a Comment