Sunday, November 3, 2013

Sunrise

Brian & Carol Anderson

It was an emotional day for everyone at church today.

A member of our Ward, longtime friend and home teacher of ours, passed away on Monday after a long struggle with leukemia.  After years of chemotherapy treatments, which his body seemed resistant to, his last resort was a bone marrow transplant this spring.  He suffered through the trauma and illness, and even seemed to be reacting well to the transplant, when suddenly things took a downhill turn.  He started to react to one of his anti-rejection drugs and never fully recovered.

I have been amazed to watch him and his wife Carol go through this entire ordeal.  They were always positive and upbeat, choosing to put their faith in God, and trusting in his guidance and protection.

During one of Brian's home teaching visits with our family, he laughed about a situation that had just come up with an onsight therapist.  Cancer patients are encouraged to attend some therapy sessions, to help them through feelings of grief, frustration, and fear associated with such a terrible disease.  He told us about how he had explained to her his resounding feeling of peace.  He was already at terms with the possibility of death, and nothing he knew about death scared him.  He was ready for whatever was in store, whether it be living twenty more years on earth, or returning to his Father in Heaven.  He laughed when he told us her reaction.  She said, "Brian, I don't think you need me. I probably should be listening to YOU."

Brian was the epitome of enduring to the end.

As I listened to many members of our Ward family bear testimony today of the peace and reassurance which we can receive from the Savior and his Atonement, I was reminded so clearly, with a flood of emotions when we lost Eric's dad.  It is so difficult to watch someone you love suffer for so long.  I remember pleading with my Father in Heaven to please release him from such a burden.  In my heart, I was hoping that release would come through a miraculous recovery, but our prayers were answered in a different way.

The challenge of aligning our will with God's, and trusting in His love, is probably one of life's most difficult.  I fight this challenge every day, as I watch my beautiful daughter struggle to make her way down the stairs, or trip because her balance is not quite right, or struggle with picking up small pieces of cereal because her dexterity is not that intricate.  I mourn for the life she could have had, for the experiences she will miss, the children she will never have.  But then I look into her eyes and hear her musical laugh and I know that she is happy.  She is happy with who she is and what God has given her.  He loves her and has blessed her in so many ways.

I have learned from watching my father-in-law, watching Brian, and watching Elise, that not only are miracles possible, but they do happen.  I have learned that you can face your challenges and adversity with faith and optimism.  I have also learned that you can accept the outcome of circumstances with peace and contentment.  Aligning our will with God gives us the reassurance of His matchless love for His children.  That He loves us and only wants our happiness.

On Tuesday morning, as I was driving to work, I was thinking about Brian's life and his example to me.  As I rounded the corner to get onto the freeway I got a good view of the sky.  It was one of the most glorious sunrises that I have ever seen, full of rich oranges and pinks.  Seeing it flooded me with warmth.  I felt sure that it was God's way of reminding each of us of His presence and His love.  

Brian was definitely smiling down on his family that morning.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful

Thelma said...

I love this Heather! Thank you for writing it.

Susie and Jay Larson said...

Thank you Heather. Truth.