Tuesday, November 12, 2013
Chicken Soup for the Soul
I haven't been feeling well for the last several days now. I don't know if the change of weather is affecting me, or if I am just getting run-down, but I have been fighting a not-so-nice bug.
I went to work this morning, feeling optimistic about being able to make it work. I was promptly sent back home. I guess that I looked too bad to pass as a healthcare provider, rather than someone seeking treatment.
To ease the ache in my throat I made a pot of homemade chicken noodle soup. I was feeling ambitious, so I also made a batch of brown sugar muffins, my family's favorite recipe.
The scent of the chicken broth was oozing from my pressure cooker, the warm smell of baking in the oven, it was all making me feel a little better. The smells drew the kids in like flies, swarming around something irresistible.
When Ethan saw me pull the muffins out of the oven, he exclaimed, "Wow Mom, you're getting fancy tonight!" I had to laugh at his enthusiasm, but then immediately think back on when I made something as "fancy" as soup and muffins.
I've been so busy lately, most of our meals have consisted of something prepackaged and quick, or something greasy pulled from a drive-up window. I felt pretty bad that I have been feeding my family so poorly.
The soup was great, and it was therapeutic to gather round the table for a nice home-cooked family meal. We laughed at how many muffins Elise was able to stuff in her mouth. She kept swiping them from Ethan's and Eric's plates. And Heidi said, "Thanks for making such a nice meal, Mom."
It both warmed my heart and broke it a little too.
The effort to put this lovely warm meal on the table sapped the remainder of my energy for the night, however. I immediately went up to relax in bed, and play on the laptop a little. I'm pretty sure that all the dishes are still down in the sink.
But that can wait until tomorrow.
Until then, I will just enjoy the little bit of heaven created from a simple bowl of soup.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment