We are stuck very solidly in the sorry world of potty training....
Woe is me!!!
I hate potty training, can you tell? Yesterday I posted on Facebook my frustrations with trying to potty train a very stubborn three-year-old. I have tried coaxing, bribing, making potty fun with books, massaging (a tip from my excellent friend Stephanie), cajolling ("Don't you want to be a big girl like Emma and Abby?"), pleading, begging, threatening ("No preschool unless you go potty!" or "Do you want time out?!"), and finally at my breaking point a few days ago -- paddling her bum after the fifth poopy pants in like two hours! I reached out to the wisdom of all my Facebook pals.
Their response was pretty universal: Put the kid back in diapers until she's ready to do it, and, this too shall pass and be to thy benefit. (Okay, that last part was me, but you get the idea.)
I already knew the answer, of course. I've always been a firm believer in "They will do it on their own when they're good and ready." However, mine and little Miss Erica's timetables don't seem to mesh very well these days.
I know that she understands the concept quite clearly. She is frequently telling me that we don't go poopy or peepie in your pants: at the store, in the kitchen, in the car, at church. "We go in TOE-let!"
Erica even came up to me the other day and said the funniest thing out of the blue, with a most solemn expression on her face. "I don't want to go train!"
And if Erica doesn't want to go train, ain't nobody gonna make her!
I think that I'm down for the count on this one....
1 comment:
You are wise to wait. I know what a pain it is to change diapers for a kid that should be potty trained already but it's so much easier to wait until they're ready.
Post a Comment