Monday, September 12, 2011
I Will Always Remember
Like (hopefully) most people yesterday, I spent the day pondering on the events which happened ten years ago. September 11, 2001 will forever be etched in my memory. The day and the feelings associated with it are so vivid it seems just like yesterday.
The morning was spent with me frantically getting ready for work. Ethan had just celebrated his first birthday a few days before, so I was still in the difficult process of preparing a baby for daycare and getting my five-year-old Heidi off to Kindergarten. As I was running out the door, Eric mentioned that it looked like there was an accident at the World Trade Center. I didn't really know what that meant. I don't think I really even knew what the World Trade Center was at that time.
By the time I got to work, people were glued to the television in our front office, watching the replay of the plane crashing into the first tower. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. It seemed like such a freak accident. Then my boss speculated, "What if it wasn't an accident?" My mind couldn't make that leap. It still can't, really.
We proceeded through our scheduled day, seeing our patients and talking about what was going on in New York with them. Then the second plane hit.....
Then the first tower crumbled into dust....We were all so shocked, I don't think any of us spoke for several minutes. I just remember crying and thinking, "All those people....."
As the events of the day progressed, including listening to the audio from the plane that was taken back by the passengers, hearing of the Pentagon being hit, and watching firefighters running into the smoke and ruins of the first tower, to their deaths for 343 of them, it was like watching a horror movie. Only this was very, very real.
I went home and hugged my babies, so grateful for my family and our safety, but afraid of what the future would bring.
No, I will never forget that day, or the people who perished in those airplanes, at the Pentagon, or in the World Trade Center buildings. There were so many heroes, and acts of selflessness. And I will never forget those who answered the call to serve their country and defend our freedoms. Their ultimate sacrifices have enabled us to continue to enjoy our freedom of speech, right to bear arms, right to worship how we may, right to elect our own leaders, and many more.
I say to them: THANK YOU
and....I WILL NEVER FORGET!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment