Today I boarded a plane headed to my hometown of Boise, Idaho. I thought that I had long since gotten over the excitement of actually flying. I mean, I've flown lots of times now, enough so that it doesn't seem like anything out of the ordinary. In fact, it's usually more of a hassle than anything else. But today....
Since this was a Wednesday afternoon flight it wasn't terribly busy. I was able to walk straight up to the security checkpoint (no line at all) and go straight on through. Then I had plenty of time to peruse the little shops that dot the airport with no distractions (read: whining children that were my own) to detain me. I didn't buy anything (which will be a great relief to Eric -- such enticements are way over-priced and completely unnecessary), but it was fun to wander around and look at all the cool artsy stuff the Seattle airport is full of. I was able to take the time to scope out and select anything I wanted for dinner since I didn't have anyone else but myself to please. And I was able to leisurely wait in these new comfy chairs that Southwest has set up in its terminal while the plane was preparing to be boarded.
When I boarded the plane there were plenty of seats to choose from, so I was able to sit by myself directly by the window.
Now the plane has just taken off. I have an incredible view from my window. I don't think I've ever had such a great view! No wing obstructing it, or other people in the way. I literally had my nose pressed up to the glass, fogging it up, so I could see as much as possible. I just watched as all the little cars and buildings grew smaller, to where they looked like a miniature setup in someone's basement. I kept waiting for a little tiny steam engine to chug through. The trees look so different from above, like lots of little pom-poms all clustered together. I saw several baseball fields, and a high school with big letters strewn all across the roof. I even saw several jewel-tone-blue swimming pools gleaming in the sunlight. Such brave souls to have outdoor pools in Seattle. The higher we got the slower all the tiny cars seemed to be moving. They looked like brightly-colored little ants tracing along a pathway carved in the lawn.
Then we passed through a cloud bank. Now we are high above the little wisps of white that look like frothy tendrils from a cotton-candy machine, and are surrounded by a vast expanse of beautiful blue.
I was so inspired by the view I had to start jotting down my thoughts. So I rummaged through my bag, trying to find a scrap of paper to write on. Of course there was nothing to be found. It's a new bag so I haven't had the time necessary to accumulate life's refuse yet. I didn't even have my napkin yet, the one they so thoughtfully place under your beverage cup.
So I am writing all this down on the barf bag found in the pocket of the seat in front of me....
That's how inspired I feel! I can tell this is going to be a great trip!
2 comments:
When I first read the post title I was afraid you had to use the barfbag for it's original purpose! Whew!! I'm glad you had a nice flight and I hope the trip home to Boise is good.
Hope you have a fabulous time walking your stomping grounds. Glad to hear you had a good flight without any barf bags.
Post a Comment