I am writing this blog from a little town called Menan, Idaho. It is where Eric grew up. We are here for the kids' spring break. Later on this week we will venture over to Boise to visit my family as well. Hopefully the rest of our trip will be less dramatic!
Two days into spring break, and we already have an adventure to tell! Yesterday we left from home and headed to Missoula, Montana. It is almost a straight shot from there down to the Idaho Falls area, which was our destination. Since this was Erica's first long trip we thought it wise to split up a 13+ hour trip into two days, so I booked a room in Missoula to stay last night.
I was so excited about our hotel. I tried out the priceline thing for the first time, and let me tell ya I'm sold! I got a great deal on a nice hotel room, paying less than half what it books for. We arrived at the hotel and were pleased with the room and accomodations. They had an indoor pool and spa....HEAVEN! We spent several hours in both last night. When we noticed how pruned up the little girls were we decided it was probably time to call it a night. Of course, we pretty much had to drag Heidi and Ethan away!
The white-knuckle part of our journey happened today. We left the hotel at a reasonable hour, expecting to reach Menan by lunch. We didn't get here until 4:30! About one hour out of Missoula we hit a terrible snowstorm. It progressively got worse, until at about the Medina Pass it was a complete white-out. We were just creeping along, praying that we would stay on the road, and being guided mostly by the warning-strips that we would run over periodically. Eric was putting his arm out the window and slapping the windshield wipers clean about every two minutes. We still couldn't see. He tried to follow a semi for part of the way, just to help see where the road was, but we eventually lost it in the never-ending white. Once a semi in front of us fish-tailed a bit, scaring us, and as Eric corrected our own car, we passed by a big truck that had slid off the road.
We kept thinking, surely we'll get through this storm soon and it will be clear! We were calling Eric's parents to let them know our progress and they kept saying it was all clear here, just windy. It never cleared, though! We crept along until finally the road cleared a bit, close to our destination. It was still snowing hard, but at least we had visibility!
Eric's parents joked about bringing the storm with us. We were just all glad to have made it without incident!
So much for a spring break in the sun!!
2 comments:
Hey Heather! I just found your blog via Jen's! I am excited to add you to my blog reader! Hope you are well! -Sara (Sterner)
Yikes!!!
I am glad you all made it there safely. Enjoy your trip and have a safe journey home.
Post a Comment