Let me relate with you a conversation I had recently with one of my patients. For the sake of patient's privacy rights, HIPPA, blah blah, we will refer to him as Mr. Bloody Gums.
"So, tell me how you've been doing with your homecare? Brushing, flossing?" This is my standard question I ask once I have assessed for myself what their actual toothbrush usage is.
Mr. Bloody Gums replies nonchalantly, "Not bad."
"You're brushing twice a day....?"
"Oh, I try to every week, but sometimes I forget."
Stunned silence.
"Once a week?" Hoping I had misunderstood.
"Yeah, but sometimes I forget," Mr. Bloody Gums answers with a shrug.
So this would explain the Niagra Falls of blood and gore we had just experienced for the last 45 minutes....Now I must evaluate how to educate this poor soul: with a strict lecture on proper homecare that only a true dental hygienist can do justice with, or a gentle nudge into the direction of more appropriate hygiene behavior. Assessing his motivation level, and noting that (gasp) there are no wives or girlfriends in the picture, I opt for the second.
"I would love to see you brushing everyday...." Thus begins my arduous journey of beating my head against a brick wall.
Sadly enough, Mr. B.G. is not my first patient to admit to such a serious lack of hygiene skills.
He's my second.
I have yet to decide if these two gentlemen (and yes, they were both men in their late 40's) are indeed clueless about a toothbrush, bacteria, and the reason no woman wants to approach them, or if they are just plain lazy.
Again, my bet is on the second.
I am nervously anticipating the day when a patient responds with, "That's your job, honey. These teeth haven't seen a brush since they were here last."
It will happen.
Ugh.
4 comments:
That is so gross!! It always amazes me the things my patients tell me. One thing that the medical profession has taught me is that people will never cease to amaze you!
Heather, I can't imagine doing what you do:( By the way, the blog you have listed for us isn't the one we use. We use johnsonsquadblog.blogspot.com
The one you have is Jason's experimental one from a long time ago. Just thought I would let you know. Have a great day:)- Cali
You are a brave soul to stick your hands in that man's mouth! That is so disgusting!
After hearing that story maybe I will floss more(I hate flossing).
Wow! Once a week?! That's pretty gross! But on the flip side, I now feel pretty great about the effort I put into my dental health. Flossing is my issue. I figure because I brush so well that makes up for it. My hygenist (sp?) disagrees!
Post a Comment