Sunday, January 11, 2009

A Mother's Prayer

I have two sick babies at home.

It breaks my heart to see their sad little eyes and imploring expression at me. They seem to be saying, "Can't you make me better?"

No sweetie, I can't.

Erica and Elise are fighting a flu bug, one of the many lurking around this winter. Erica's nose is dripping like an endless fountain. I have no idea where all of the fluids are coming from. You'd think that eventually it would run out! Elise has been running a fever off and on. Unfortunately for her, fevers tend to induce seizure activity. She hasn't had any severe ones, but she keeps getting little jolts that scare her.

I realize that we have to go through bad times to appreciate the good, poverty to appreciate prosperity, sickness to appreciate health. But why does it have to apply to kids too? Can't we, as parents, just say, "Give me the burden! Let me carry the weight! Let me feel the pain!"

I gave the lesson today in Beehives and it was about the Savior and how he made it possible for us to repent and return to live with our Father in Heaven through the Atonement. It is hard to think about what he suffered for us, but I think that our Father in Heaven probably suffered just as much watching His beloved Son go through it as well. I am sure He wished that He could just take it away, all the pain and grief. "Give me the burden! Let me carry the weight! Let me feel the pain!"

But He knew He couldn't. He knew it was the only way He could get us back again, safe in His arms, because we are His beloved children as well.

So, I am grateful....for a Heavenly Father who loves us enough to send us trials that will only make us stronger. And who loves us enough to always be there when we feel the weakest.

So no, sweetie, I can't make it better. But I will be here for you to help you through.

1 comment:

amy germer said...

You are such a great writer! You should write a book and become the next SM.
I almost put that same background on my blog-too funny we have the same taste.