Friday, January 13, 2012

2011 in Review


 As I was writing up my Christmas newsletter for 2011, I was amazed at all the changes and challenges which happened throughout the year.  Funny thing is, I feel this way EVERY year, but it always seems more life-altering as I reflect at the close of December.


The kids have all grown so much!  Sometimes it makes me sad, or even panicked, that time is slipping away so quickly!  Usually, though, it warms my heart to see how they have grown and developed.  I can start to see a glimpse of the person they were meant to be, a look at their incredible potential, and it makes me both proud and excited!


2010 was such a banner year for Elise and her development, and 2011 ended out no different!  She has made tremendous strides (literally!) in her walking.  It still catches me off guard to come around a corner at the house and see her walking to get to a toy, or reach for something on the counter with those mile-long arms of hers!  This has also posed some new challenges for us in managing safety in our house, as she can easily reach things on the stove top and other dangerous areas, but still has no concept of danger or consequences.  She is also very determined to do things her way, and is outrageously offended when we try to do things for her.  I love watching her eat.  She is getting more proficient with utensils, with the food occasionally even making it to her  mouth!  Yet she gets mad if we insist that she use her hands instead!


Erica keeps me in stitches all day, laughing at the funny things she says!  I wish I had a recording of some of our conversations, which are basically one-sided, with her rattling on non-stop; or a video of her putting her dolls in time-out, scolding them sternly for their misdeed and then rocking them to sleep.  If there is one thing to describe Erica, it is determined!  I think she sweeps the award for Most Strong-Willed Three-Year-Old Ever!!!  Our battle of wills is epic, as she resists anything that is not strictly her idea!  Top of the list is potty training.....YES it is still a battle at our house!  I am hopeful that soon she will channel that amazing determination of hers toward wearing big-girl panties!!


Ethan finally hit a growth spurt this year, and I found myself purchasing new sets of church clothes twice in one year to accommodate his ever-growing limbs!  We spent a good part of the year immersed in folded paper shapes.  Ethan devoted countless hours to researching new Origami designs on YouTube, then creating    intricately folded objects.....the Eiffel Tower, a scorpion, and a miniature Yoda have been my favorites.  We have millions of them....Do you want one?!  At Christmas he started making "Survivor Bracelets," which are made of parachute chord tied into knots.  In the event that you are trapped in a "survival situation," you can untie your bracelet and you have a nice length of rope to work with.  They are actually really cool, and he has given away many of them, guaranteeing the lucky recipient's survival in many a difficult situation!  Last fall, Ethan excelled in soccer once again, performing well in every position he played.  His favorite position is Mid-field Defender, which surprised me.  He loves to get in there and save the day!  The last game of the season he was put on Offense and scored an impressive goal!!  I don't think I have ever seen him so excited!


Heidi had a very full and busy year.  She turned 15, going on 30, in March, adding to both Eric's and my gray-hair count!  I couldn't ask for a more thoughtful, respectful, responsible teenager, but I still worry!  Time just cruises by too fast!  This summer Heidi completed the 22-mile Journey to the Temple, with amazing dedication and endurance.  Then this fall she started Driver's Training (the TRUE source of those pesky sparklers in my hair!), and is enjoying taking a digital photography class at school.  She is currently serving as the Mia Maid President of her class at church.  We are now in serious competition for her babysitting services as her calendar is always booked with babysitting jobs.


Eric worked very hard for the majority of the year at Premera Blue Cross as a contract specialist.  I hardly ever saw him, because when he wasn't working he was always serving in his calling as a High Counselor at church.  He spoke once a month in various meetings at church, and was recently assigned to help with the missionary efforts of the Stake.  In September, Eric lost his dad to an eight-year battle with renal cancer.  It has been very difficult for him and his family to imagine life without his dad.  We miss him terribly.  At the end of the year, Eric decided to take a new job at Kindred Healthcare as the Director of Payer Relations for the State of Washington.  As a result of different time-tables between jobs, Eric spent a large portion of the month of December at home, jobless.  He got to try out the position of Mr. Mom for a while, but he quickly realized it wasn't all it was cracked up to be!  Believe me when I say we were ALL glad when he started the new job in January and went back to work!  In the meantime, he picked up a fun hobby of turning pens on his wood lathe and made a number of beautiful pieces!

As for me, I picked up some more hours at work and am now working four days a week at the same dental office as a dental hygienist.  I absolutely love where I am working, and I love all of my patients!  I am also still serving as the Beehive adviser at church, so I teach lessons and oversee weekly activities for the girls ages 12 and 13.  I had the opportunity to perform in a couple musical/theatrical productions this year, and I completely loved it!  I am hoping to be able to write a production of my own to perform soon.  I am also participating in a ladies' quartet with three of my friends, meeting once a week to learn our music.  Most of the music is retro pop and A Capella.  We are hoping to have enough numbers put together to start performing for real this year in nursing homes around the area.  Between work, church, family, and all my extra stuff, my life is somewhat of a tornado right now.  There is never a dull moment, only blessed moments of quiet when everyone else is in bed but me!

I am eager to see all that will happen in 2012.  It has started off with every kind of craziness already, so I know we are in for a ride!

No comments: