Friday, January 21, 2011

At the grocery store with Erica.....

I stopped off at the grocery store tonight after work and after picking up Erica from the babysitter's house. I just wanted to make it a quick trip to get a few items for dinner and for the weekend. Now when is a trip to the grocery store, especially with a toddler in tow, ever quick?!


Erica was excited. I never, and I mean never take her grocery shopping anymore! I usually do my grocery shopping at night, when kids are all in bed and I can enjoy the time to myself. Well, she remembers seeing the shopping carts with cars on them, of course. Oh, how I hate those carts! They are impossible to steer and don't hold very many groceries.


As soon as Erica saw a car cart available she was ecstatic! "Wanna go for ride! Go for ride!" So I let her in and started steering the clumsy thing all over the store. Meanwhile Erica was "steering" to her little heart's content, waving hi to everyone, pointing out things she wanted.


Several times I would misjudge where the end of the car was and bump into the edges of the store shelves. Every time I did, Erica would say in her sweet voice, "Ooops! Sorry Mommy!" as if she was really driving it!


Of course, by the time we got to the checkout line she was ready to get out and explore. Not fun trying to hang onto a two-year old while unloading the cart and paying for the transaction! Then listening to her scream all the way to the car since, with no free hands available, I had locked and loaded her back in the car. She was hanging out the side, hollering like she was being abducted.


Yes, this is why I don't bring kids to the grocery store anymore....


.....or drive a Suburban.

No comments: