Friday, April 23, 2010

On a Day Like This....

....I had set for myself two things that I wanted to accomplish today.

1. To make a batch of strawberry freezer jam.
2. To cut out the pieces to my dress project.


Granted, I know they were lofty goals, squeezed in the middle of my life's daily chores. But I seriously thought I could do it!

Here is what has gone wrong with my progress at completing those goals so far:

1. The Jam
I went to Costco last night and saw these luscious, beautiful strawberries for sale. Since I just enjoyed a bunch of my mom's delicious strawberry jam at home, I couldn't resist the impulse to get two packages of them, with the intention of making some of my own. Why not, I thought! It should only take an hour or so, the recipe is so easy!!

So this morning I get everything out, ready to make the jam, and dug out the recipe my mom gave me. Wouldn't you know it, I was missing a key ingredient, and had the wrong kind of another! So I would need to get to the store first before I could start any jam.


2. The Dress
After my disappointment with the jam, I started on the dress project. I read over the entire instructions first, then carefully laid out the pattern and started cutting all the little pieces apart. You have to do this before you can lay out the pattern pieces onto the actual fabric. The paper is very thin and delicate, and very easy to mess up. So I took my time.

My next step was to fit the pattern pieces to myself, in case I needed to make some adjustments before I cut out the fabric. I was having a hard time getting it to work, and then I realized: I got the wrong size of pattern!!!

Now if I was really experienced and talented as a seamstress, I could figure a way to make the pattern work, just adjusting it as needed. Well, I am neither very experienced or all that talented as a seamstress, so I will need to get another pattern! Which requires another trip to the store.



I haven't made it to the store yet.

Anyone who knows me, knows I avoid taking Erica and Elise with me to the store at all cost. I can handle one of them at a time, but together they are just too much.

So now I will wait until Heidi gets home from school to babysit. (I know, I'm so lucky I have that option!)

Who knows, the day isn't over yet. Perhaps I will complete my assignments for the day....

No comments: