Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Twilight Zone




There is a strange phenomenon gripping the suburbs of our country. It involves perfectly innocent, even ordinary housewives and teenagers alike. It is an obsession with the relationship between a teenage girl and her boyfriend. One who happens to be....a vampire.


Yes, I am ashamed to admit it. I fell into the trap as well. It all started, innocently enough, with reading a book for my Book Club. Everyone was reading it, couldn't put it down! And after all, it was written by an LDS gal in Arizona. Support our enterprizing members!



I started reading "Twilight" but had a difficult time getting into it at first. It was such an intimate look into the mind of a teenage girl, sometimes it made me feel uncomfortable. I remembered my own awkward teenage years....feelings of inadequacy, unsure of my place in the world or society, worrying about my grades, but even more, worrying about what other people thought of me. I can't say that I was very much like Bella, the main character of "Twilight," but it reawakened those memories I had of that period in my life.


Absolute misery.


I would never want to go back.


So I was hesitant about attaching myself to this story. Stephenie Meyers' writing style is not what I would refer to as literary genius. (The comparison of her to JK Rowling is ludicrous to me....she is not even in the same universe.) Parts of the story were cheesey or overly-dramatic. (I mean, really, do you have to turn around and try to be a martyr every week?) But Meyers is very clever here. She gets you hooked on the story line, intrigued with what's going to happen next. You are willing to trudge through the pages and pages of both repetitive and sappy descriptions of Edward's angelic face and how often he softly strokes Bella's cheek....ugh....just to find out....


Anyway, when it came down to it, I ate it up like everyone else. I joined the crowd who was so excited for the fourth and final installment of the book series, that I had to preorder it on Amazon, then waited on tender-hooks until it arrived. I stayed up late two nights in a row (I know, it should have been only one all-nighter but I do have a life, you know!) trying to finish it, then immediately tore it apart with my friends. ("Can you believe she did this?" and "What's with the ripped-apart bed-posts, anyway?") I do not want to give away any important parts for those of my friends still reading it (Are there really any of you out there?), so I will leave it there.


All this drama and excitement over a silly book series can only lead to one thing....a movie deal, of course! I rallied all my Book Club pals and organized a party to see the "Twilight" movie on opening night. We bought tickets in advance online, so as not to have to miss out on such a historic cultural phenomenon. Heidi, of course, went with me as well. All of her friends had read the books, and it was all they were talking about. I felt the series was a little too hormone-driven for the imagination of a 12-year old girl, but gave in to letting her see the movie.



The energy in that theater was palpable! I was surrounded by 12-year old girls, their high and constant chatter spiking up the energy of the room, and the voices of the mothers, competing with the near-hysteria of excitement. When the lights dimmed everyone cheered. Then as a hush fell over the crowd as it was about to start, one of the gals from my group yelled out, "I love you, Jacob!", starting a chorus of cheers and, "I love you, Edward!"'s all over the theater. This is the eternal debate of "Twilight," who should Bella be with....Edward or Jacob?

The debate continues....

The cheering and audience participation continued throughout the movie. Whenever a new character entered a scene, there would be cat-calls and whistles. Lines of dialogue immediately recognized from the book were cheered like words from an energized political speech. We were Meyers' faithful followers, and I don't think anyone left disappointed. All her true fans were just willing the movie to be phenomenal, whether it could live up to it or not, so of course it has succeeded.

Now the mayhem can die down a little.

Until the next movie, that is.

As for me, I find I admire the woman who inspired so many swooning teenage girls and their mothers to come together and discuss the same book so whole-heartedly. She woke up one morning after having a vivid dream. After writing it down and expanding it some, it eventually turned into one of the most successful young adult series of all time. Just an ordinary, run-of-the-mill mother and housewife.
Just like me.

I could relate to her, and yet I find I am a little envious. Being a break-out star of a writer was always my fantasy as well. Now if only I could have a really fabulous dream one night....

5 comments:

amy germer said...

Heather, you are so funny. I, however am not ashamed-I embrace my obsession. I loved your post-every thing you said was so true and how I feel. When the movie started I got tears in my eyes. Not tears of an obsessed fan but, tears for Stephenie Meyer. I felt like a proud Momma watching her baby succeed in life. I was so stressed out the whole time, like I was willing it to be brilliant. I left a little in shock so, I saw in again last night and enjoyed it this time. There are so many things that I wished they would have done different but, I just glad the fans like it (it was made for us anyway and all those nay sayers can go to *&%$.)

Mama Yo said...

So very well said Heather! You put all of my thoughts down so clearly for me. Thank you! :)

I too went to opening night, and I LOVED that energy! It was so fun! I went again Saturday night with a different group, and the crowd wasn't nearly as energetic as the midnight show.

I'm hoping to go see it again tomorrow night - with my one and only :) . I've talked him into it. He is even interested in listening to the audio books (he'll be taking a lot of road trips for work the next few months).

I've purchased both the movie soundtrack and the score from amazon. I LOVE the score and listen to that the most. It is constantly playing. And yup, I have an Edward/Bella picture on my desktop too. {{sigh}}

Anonymous said...

Great post Heather! I wasn't at opening night of course, but I can entirely picture it with your description.

You spoke for me in the last two paragraphs. The Twilight books are fun, but the story that fascinates me is the Mormon SAHM that magnifies her talents while earning fame and big bucks to boot. Stephenie's story makes me daydream more than Bella's story.

I rarely comment, but your blog is one that I stalk while everyone else in my house is (and I should be) sleeping. Please keep it up.

Carrie said...

So fun! I have to say I thought the movie was a lot of fun! I was disappointed when they announced the cast (and I think their hair and make-up department needs an overhaul), so I got over it months ago and was able to really enjoy the movie. I thought it made the movie even more fun to be there on opening night with all the little beboppers. I loved the crowds reaction as each of the Cullen's walked into the cafeteria and then Edward. I thought they did a good job at capturing the tension between Bella & her man and the essence of the book. So glad I got to go with all of you!

(This is Carrie by the way, incase you didn't know Caroline is my full-name:)

Steve Kolb said...

heather, facebook and blogs! i love your description of the Twilght books i felt EXACTLY the same! i'm excited to be able to keep up with your family now!