Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Music of My Soul

It seems like ages ago that I was back in Junior High, performing in our Orchestra concerts. I played the violin, from 5th grade to Senior year. I was never a proficient, but I sure enjoyed playing the music! My first love was playing the piano, but I also really loved the violin. I loved the fact that even if you weren't perfect and solo-worthy in your individual performance, you can still feel a part of creating something beautiful. The music that comes from children can truly be magical, mistakes and all.
One of the things I remember most is that both my parents always went to all my concerts. Every concert, recital, tryout, rehearsal, you name it. They were so supportive. They were always proud of me, even when I was disappointed in my performance. I don't know if I appreciated it then, because it just seemed natural for them to be there, but now I know what they had to sacrifice for me to be involved in music. I am truly grateful....not just for the support, but for instilling in me the love of music and performance, and making it a priority in our lives.
Now the legacy gets to continue. Heidi started in Band last year, playing the flute. She only got to be in a few concerts, since they were just beginning, but this year there are a lot more performances to enjoy.
I can't tell you how proud I am to watch her out there playing with this big group of kids. She worked so hard before their first evaluation, and she made First Chair!! I have never been more proud! The Band played several patriotic songs, including the Star-Spangled Banner, and the combination of emotions I felt just brought tears to my eyes. I think it made me feel even more of a connection with my parents. I am so grateful that I can pass on those priorities I learned from them on to the next generation.












2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi heidi that is so cool

love kaylee

Sarah Jane said...

mr metcalf is on your blogspot. thats slightly odd. haha but i loved him!