Sunday, July 20, 2014

Tender Mercies

A very tired little girl :(
 
This last week was a difficult one. Elise caught a stomach virus which lasted for a couple days. Unfortunately for her, little stomach bugs turn into big problems. We weren't able to get her to eat or drink anything, including her anti-seizure medications.
 
Elise became very sick very quickly. She started on Wednesday night at dinner, not wanting to eat and starting to look a little green. She vomited not long after that. I left her with Heidi while I went to work on Thursday, stocked with Gatorade, Sprite and ice cream. Basically anything that would tempt her to take a drink of something. By the time I got home for lunch, she had had five seizures (two of them were the night before), one of which was terrifying for the kids to watch. Heidi had immediately called Eric, who came home right away.
 
I only had two more patients for the day, so we decided to take her to the hospital when I was done with work and try to get some fluids into her. We took her to the ER at Providence Hospital in Everett. We were there for about five hours, where she had two more violent seizures. One was exactly like the one that Heidi described from earlier that day. Her eyes suddenly shot open, her pupils were huge and black, and she started screaming hysterically while her entire body stiffened. It was the most terrifying thing that I have ever witnessed. I will never forget the look of sheer terror on her little face.
 
We had been sitting in the hospital room already for a long time, with hardly anyone coming in to check on us. Her first seizure had started directly after the doctor left the room. I ran out of the room to notify the nurses in the hall, but by the time they came in she was already self-stabilizing. When she had the second seizure, however, we were certainly not ignored. Three nurses and her doctor came running into the room as soon as they heard her screams. I was trying to console her, but didn't know what to do. I was crying, trying to talk to her and touch her face, hoping that somewhere inside of her she could hear my voice. The team immediately threw an oxygen mask on her face and a dose of Atavan (a strong form of Valium) was ordered for her.
 
After three needle sticks, the nurses were able to get an IV into Elise's arm. The Atavan was pumped in and she almost immediately quieted down.
 
The ER doctor who was helping Elise out decided that she was beyond the scope of their care. She needed a pediatric neurologist, who could get her seizures stabilized. They decided that we needed to transfer her down to Children's Hospital in Seattle.
 
Elise and I rode in the noisy, bumpy ambulance down to Children's at around midnight. She had another minor seizure in the ambulance, but it was very small. The EMT who rode in the back with us gave her a cute little teddy bear, with a few injuries of his own. He had a bandaid on his head, a cast on his leg, and carried a crutch.
 
We arrived at Children's and went through all the test results and interviews with multiple doctors. Elise had another seizure while everyone else was out of the room, but it was pretty mild. I mentioned it to them when they returned and they were stunned that I hadn't notified them. I hadn't gotten much help before so it didn't occur to me to call for anyone again, especially for a small one. But they were flabbergasted. It was pretty funny actually.
 
Elise was put onto a loading dose of Keppra, one of her main anti-seizure medications. After that we were finally admitted. We didn't get to our room until 4:00 am. By then I was so tired I thought that I would fall asleep on my feet. After getting her situated in the room I was finally able to get a few hours sleep until morning.
 
The next day Elise did well. She was very sleepy and nonresponsive, but that was understandable. The important thing was that she was no longer having seizures. Now the waiting game was just to see when she could manage drinking on her own, in particular to take her medications.
 
Eric came to Children's at about noon and I was able to step out of the room for a few minutes to get us some lunch. We coaxed Elise all afternoon until finally she was ready to really wake up. At last she was drinking enough and alert enough that the doctors felt comfortable to release her. We got home around 6:00 that night, just in time to make some dinner for the kids. 
 
On our way home!

As I have reflected back on this experience, I have been amazed to notice all the tender mercies that we received during Elise's illness.
 
Although it was scary to watch my child go through so much trauma over something as small as a stomach virus, I have felt so incredibly blessed. She is healthy and doing well. She was a bit wobbly today still, but by this evening she was laughing and babbling just like she always does. We have our little Elisey back, with no apparent damage.
 
The amazing thing was, however, that I felt so much peace during the entire event. I knew without a doubt that she was going to recover, that she was in excellent care with all the doctors and nurses who handled her case, and that we were going to pull through this as a family.
 
Several times the nurses and doctors mentioned how surprised they were about our calm demeanor. They said that most parents would be panicking at what they saw and what was happening with their child. We laughed it off, saying that it wasn't our first time dealing with these issues. But the more I have thought about it, the more I realize what a beautiful gift we were given of peace and comfort. It was a blessing straight from our Father in Heaven and I am so thankful for it.
 
I was also never concerned about the other kids at home. Heidi did a wonderful job holding down the fort, feeding the kids, and managing all that needed done in our absence. What a blessing she is to our family as well.
 
While we watched over our sleepy girl in the hospital, on Friday we had a visit from a woman in one of the wards located around Children's Hospital. She came asking if we needed assistance with anything, if we needed Priesthood blessings, and if we wanted our names submitted on the temple rolls for strengthening prayers and blessings. I was so touched by her visit, a complete stranger, who came bringing the love of the Savior into our room. She seemed to look right into me and see exactly what I needed to hear at that time. Among other things, she said that I needed a chocolate milk shake and gave Eric the charge to find me one. I felt incredibly blessed to be so looked after.
 
And then there were all the prayers from friends and family. It only took a few little posts on Facebook for me to have an entire support group rallying around our family. I can't even express how very much I felt those prayers. The power of prayer and faith is real. It is so real that I feel that I could tangibly reach out and touch it. I am still basking in the warm afterglow left over from it's encompassing glory. God's love for us is real. His love for my family is real. And His love for my little girl is as wide as the universe.
 
I am so grateful for tender mercies, and their affirming and absolute confirmation of my Heavenly Father's tender love for each of us. 

2 comments:

Thelma said...

This is beautiful Heather. You are an inspiration to me and I admire your faith and strength and courage. Thank you for being my friend. What a blessing it is to know you and your family!

Janet said...

". . . as wide as the universe." Love that part--so true too. Thanks for your incredible example of faith and amazing-ness.