Thursday, January 16, 2014
Nothing to Writing
I am supposed to be writing right now. But not on this....
I am stuck on a story that I am trying to continue for my writing group. I have been thinking about it for days. Where is this supposed to go? How do I get there? What do I see happening? What is the bridge that I need to build to lead up to the grand finale?
Ugh!
This quote from Ernest Hemingway totally sums it up.
"There's nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter--and bleed."
Only a writer would know EXACTLY what he is talking about!
When you write, you are not just sitting down, with the words pouring out of you like an overflowing pitcher. You fight for every word. Every sentence. Every thought. How do they blend together? Does that sound right? This sentence needs to have a choppier rhythm, while this one needs a languid fluidity. Not enough description. Too much description. Too obvious. Not obvious enough.
Sometimes I sit for an hour, staring at the computer monitor, rolling words around in my head. Sometimes nothing comes out.
But sometimes, every once in a while, magic happens, and the words roll out so fast I can't even keep up with them.
Those are the days I live for.
I need me some magic about now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Your writing never disappoints Heather!
Post a Comment