Sunday, February 23, 2014

Just Around the Corner

A cute random kid I found on the internet... :)

We are in the middle of looking for housing for Heidi to attend BYU-Idaho in the fall. We are lucky, because Heidi's cousin Kaylee will be on the same tracks as her (fall and spring terms), and they are excited to be roommates together. Also, Kaylee and her family live near BYU-I so they have been able to scout out the housing situation for us.

The only problem is, I feel like I have entered the Twilight Zone.

When did this child of mine grow to be old enough to leave the nest? I didn't give her permission to grow up so soon, she did it all on her own. I don't remember agreeing to this part of the bargain. It seems like she should still be a cute little thing, barely big enough to lug around her suitcase with a sticker proclaiming "Off to Gramma's House!" on it.

The problem is, I know that I did agree to this part of the plan. From the moment this tiny little bundle was handed into my arms nearly eighteen years ago, I knew that someday I was going to have to let go.

It doesn't make it any easier, of course.

These eighteen years have made it all that much harder to let go. Every day I have had the privilege of watching her go from a teetering toddler, full of smiles and laughs, to a beautiful young woman, full of promise and courage. I have seen her struggles and triumphs, her heartaches and growth. Watching it all, I have had the opportunity to love her more every day.

Yes, she may still be just a cute little thing, barely big enough to lug around her suitcase (she is mine, after all), but now it will be emblazoned with a sticker shouting "Off to COLLEGE!" The collection of beloved dolls and stuffed animals are now replaced with a collection of fashionable scarves and bright bottles of nail polish.

It is just around the corner, and she will be off to start her own adventures, but she will always be my sweet little girl.

This one's my girl!


1 comment:

Thelma said...

This is wonderful Heather. Breaks my heart a little, but it's wonderful.

You've done a great job raising that girl. On behalf of the world, thank you. :)