Tuesday, May 17, 2011

I've Been a Little Busy.....





Last October my Relief Society President asked me to head up a musical production she wanted performed for our Relief Society sisters.  It was brilliantly written by her son-in-law, and was based loosely on the story of the Broadway show "Wicked" and the "Wizard of Oz," but with a twist on visiting teaching.  The story is very cute, with both humorous and touching moments.


At first I was completely overwhelmed.  Well, let's be serious.  I was completely overwhelmed the entire time we were in production!  Not only did she want me to head up the production of this play, she also wanted me to be a principal performer in it!  It was something I have always dreamed of doing, but never thought I would have the opportunity to do it!


We started asking people to be involved with this project, and had our first meeting at the end of February, then started meeting seriously in March.  Most of March was spent in prep-work.  All of April was spent in rehearsals.  And I mean ALL of April!!  I hardly saw my family at all!!  I was gone until 11:30 or 12:00 at night at least 3-4 times a week, in addition to my regular work schedule.


"Linda North" and "Deborah West"

Our amazing cast!


The entire cast and crew!


We had two performances.  Our first was on Tuesday, May 3rd, for our entire Ward.  We got a great response from everyone, and the evening was exhilerating!  Our final performance was on Friday, May 6.  The entire Stake Relief Society and Young Women were invited to attend.  Audrey (who played the lead opposite me) and I both decided for our final night we were going to go all out, with nothing holding us back!!!  Everything we did was completely over the top and so much fun!  We felt really great about our performance!


Of course, just like I have found in other areas of my life, even when things feel like they are never going to possibly come together, an amazing miracle happens, and everything finally falls into place.  Yes, we had some flub-ups on both nights of our performance, but nothing we couldn't manage to move on with.  I can't even tell you how much I have learned from this experience.  It has made me grow in so many ways, and I will always be grateful for this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity I had to shine!!

4 comments:

Thelma said...

You did indeed shine! It was fabulous.

JoLyn said...

I don't know about "the-once-in-a-lifetime" part. I think this was your gateway role. Maybe start out with some community theatre and then on to some paying gigs. You guys really left it all out there. I'm glad I got to be a little piece of it.

Janet said...

. . . and SHINE you did, Sister! I loved every minute of it.

Susie said...

You are a true STAR!! I surly enjoyed watching you and the cast perform you all did a amazing job. It was very well done, thanks for accepting the assignment. Way to go!!