Friday, September 24, 2010

The Influence of Music

(Excerpts from my talk on Sunday)

I was lucky enough to grow up in a house surrounded by music. The television was rarely on, but there was always someone practicing a musical instrument of some sort somewhere in the house. We were constantly performing in church, as special numbers and in the choir. We were also involved in many school and community events.

I started piano at a very young age, and continued with lessons through my first year of college. I participated in all of the local music festivals, the most difficult being one where I had to memorize ten separate pieces and perform them for two judges. I frequently accompanied at church and also played with the jazz band my senior year.

In the fifth grade I started playing the violin, and participated in school and community orchestras. I have a somewhat competitive nature, so I was constantly irritated at never being first chair. There was a girl in my class who was an incredible violinist, and I was never able to beat her. All of our chair tests were done in front of the entire orchestra, with everyone nervously listening and awaiting their turn. It was incredibly nerve-racking, but also a very valuable experience to perform in front of other people.

Looking at my life, I can see that music has always been an important part of it. Even most of my church callings have been based around it. Why would I spend so much of my time and energy on this one thing?

Music has always seemed to give me something that was invaluable to me. It spoke of truth and beauty, and expressed emotions and feelings I could never put into words. I spent many hours sitting at the piano, pouring the feelings I did not know how to express into my music. They could be feelings of incredible happiness, or absolute desolation. As I grew older I came to recognize that I could feel the Spirit, not only in playing sacred music, but also in great classical masterpieces. Every note was like a testimony telling of God's love for us, and His wish for us to be happy.

As an adult, I have had many callings that involved the music in Primary. I love the Primary music!!! You can't help but feel the Spirit when you listen to Primary children sing! Their little voices are so pure and innocent, and the words of the Primary songs are simple statements of truth and testimony. For many years I led the music in Primary. There were many times when I would get choked up listening to the children sing, because the Spirit was so strong. I remember one song in particular. We all worked very hard learning this new song. Once the children were good at performing it, they would get very enthusiastic with their singing. Every time we sang that song I could not look at Sister Ellerbeck, who was sitting in the front row with her class, because she was always crying, touched by the words they sang and their conviction in them. She would set me off whenever I saw her.

The hymns are an equally sacred compilation of music. The First Presidency wrote this about our hymns:

“Inspirational music is an essential part of our church meetings. The hymns
invite the Spirit of the Lord, create a feeling of reverence, unify us as
members, and provide a way for us to offer praises to the Lord.
Some of the greatest sermons are preached by the singing of hymns. Hymns move us to repentance and good works, build testimony and faith, comfort the weary, console the mourning, and inspire us to endure to the end” (Hymns, 1985, p. ix).


It is no wonder that music is such an essential part of our worship, as a Church. Many of history's greatest moments have involved music in some way.

The first assignment that the Lord gave to Emma Smith, even before organizing the Relief Society, was to make a compilation of hymns for the Church to use. In D&C 25:11-12 it reads, "And it shall be given thee, also, to make a selection of sacred hymns, as it shall be given thee, which is pleasing unto me, to be had in my church. For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart; yea, the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing upon their heads."

When Joseph Smith was in one of his darkest moments, awaiting the fate of himself and his friends at the hands of a mob, he asked John Taylor to sing "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief." It must have been an incredible moment when he sang the sixth verse:
In pris'n I saw him next, condemned/ To meet a traitor's doom at morn./ The
tide of lying tongues I stemmed,/ And honored him 'mid shame and scorn./ My
friendship's utmost zeal to try,/ He asked if I for Him would die./ The flesh
was weak; my blood ran chill,/ But my free spirit cried, "I will!"

When, during the War of 1812, Francis Scott Key was listening to the battle waging, and watching the tattered American flag wave over the Chesapeake Bay, he was inspired to write the words that would eventually become our national anthem:
Oh say, can you see, by the dawn's early light,/ What so proudly we hailed at
the twilight's last gleaming,/ Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the
perilous fight,/ O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?/ And
the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,/ Gave proof through the night
that our flag was still there./ Oh say, does that star spangled banner yet wave/
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

When Allied soldiers were entrenched across the battlefield from the German army during a vicious battle on Christmas Eve night, 1914, it was the quiet strains of the song "Silent Night" that brought the War to a standstill, for one night at least. The song had transcended all language barriers, speaking of peace and love, and the miraculous birth of the Savior:
Silent night, Holy night./ All is calm, All is bright./ Round yon virgin mother
and Child./ Holy infant, so tender and mild./ Sleep in heavenly peace; Sleep in
heavenly peace.

When the Savior, himself, was born in the humblest of circumstances, the heavens could not help but express its joy through song. Concourses of angels sang and ministered to shepherds in the field, inspiring them to go and find the newborn King:

Joy to the world, the Lord is come; Let earth receive her King! Let every
heart prepare him room, And saints and angels sing; And saints and angels
sing; And saints and angels sing.


The First Presidency, in 1973, made this statement: “Through music, man’s ability to express himself extends beyond the limits of the spoken language in both subtlety and power. Music can be used to exalt and inspire or to carry messages of degradation and destruction. It is therefore important that as Latter-day Saints we at all times apply the principles of the gospel and seek the guidance of the Spirit in selecting the music with which we surround ourselves” (Priesthood Bulletin, Aug. 1973, p. 3).

Naturally, since music can be used for such good in the world, Satan has found a way of using it to ensnare us. Along with powerful, enlightening, spiritual feelings, music also has the ability of promoting carnal thoughts, feelings of isolation and loneliness, and inciting overly-aggressive behavior. We are constantly confronted with loud, obnoxious, and degrading forms of this so-called "self-expression." It is vital that we not surround ourselves with this garbage. Some people may say, "Well, I'm not really listening to the words, I just like the song, or the beat." It doesn't matter if you are not listening to the words. They still sink in to your mind. And just as a catchy little tune can stick in your head, and roll around in there all day, your sub-conscience fills in all those words you "aren't really listening to," repeating the vulgar thoughts and phrases over and over and over. This hurts your spirit.

For the Strength of Youth, says this about music:
"Music is an important and powerful part of life. It can be an influence for
good that helps you draw closer to Heavenly Father. However, it can also be used
for wicked purposes. Unworthy music may seem harmless, but it can have evil
effects on your mind and spirit. Choose carefully the music you listen to.
Pay attention to how you feel when you are listening. Don't listen to music that
drives away the Spirit, encourages immorality, glorifies violence, uses foul or
offensive language, or promotes Satanism or other evil practices" ("Music and
Dancing," 20).
I have found that you can find a hymn that fits pretty much any topic, any discussion, any question you may have. Here is one I found appropriate for today:

Sing we now at parting one more strain of praise./ To our Heav'nly Father
sweetest songs we'll raise./ For his loving kindness, for his tender care,/ Let
our songs of gladness fill this Sabbath air.
I want you to know that I have a testimony of the divine influence that music can play in our lives. It can bring us closer to the Savior and our Father in Heaven, and gives us the opportunity to express our gratitude to them for all we are blessed with.

No comments: