Friday, August 20, 2010

Lost

Elise has been working on her first loose tooth for a while now. The permanent tooth came in behind the baby tooth, so it took a while for the baby tooth to get loose. Once it actually started getting loose enough to wiggle, she wouldn't let me near it. She has also been avoiding eating many items, probably from discomfort.


I have been wanting to yank that tooth out myself for the last several weeks. I can't help it! Maybe it's the dental background, or maybe it's just that I can't stand having something dead, gross, and useless just hanging there, taunting me.


My kids hate this impulse of mine. I have managed to bully my way into pulling several of their baby teeth, and they still cry about it (waa waa). I do try to make it more comfortable. I apply a generous amount of topical anesthetic, courtesy of my student stash from hygiene school. Heidi has informed me several times that "it doesn't work!" I'm not sure why she thought it should make it completely numb, which of course it doesn't!!! Silly girl.


Anyway, Elise has proven to be very good at fighting me off, so I have had to watch her tooth flapping in the wind.


At dinner tonight someone noticed her tooth was gone. Who knows when it came out. It could have been anytime today, or it could have been at dinner! All we know is that it is truly "lost," as in MIA.


I sure hope the tooth fairy won't mind there is no tooth on the bedside table tonight. I know she likes to add them to her collection, but hopefully she'll make an exception in this case. She is a good friend of mine, after all.

No comments: