Thursday, December 24, 2009

'Twas the night before Christmas.....

'Twas the night before Christmas, and all is quiet at the White house.
********
Quiet for now, that is.....
********
The kids have just gone down for bed, and although visions of sugar-plumbs are not yet dancing in their heads, they are at least starting on the journey down the road to dreamland. Now as I enjoy the peace for a few moments, I have been reflecting on this evening, and what a great night it was.
********
We were lucky enough to enjoy dinner tonight with our friends the Sisco family. I had originally not taken her up on the invite to dine with them, since I was planning a nice turkey dinner for us at home. However, I have been a little neglectful this past week and did not get my turkey out of the freezer to defrost soon enough. It should be ready for a Christmas feast tomorrow, but as for today, we were turkey-less.
********
So we enjoyed ham and potatoes au gratin, with rolls and salads, and plenty of desserts to round out our bellies even more. After stuffing ourselves past capacity, we played games together and then sang some Christmas songs around the piano before heading home.
Here is our homage to good old St. Nick, in the hopes that he will not forget the White house this evening!!

Right before bed, the kids opened the traditional gift of new jammies. We then gathered together in a circle for family prayer and thanked our Father in Heaven for this wonderful season to celebrate the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ, and to be grateful for His life of service and love, but especially for the sacrifice He made for each of us. As the kids went to bed I quietly played some of the Christmas hymns on the piano. "Silent Night" was the last one I played. I wanted the feeling from that song to be the last thing dancing around in their heads before they drifted off to sleep. With all the bustle and excitement of what tomorrow morning will bring, I want them to always remember the true meaning of this holiday.

********

Silent night! Holy night!

All is calm, all is bright

Round yon virgin, mother and Child.

Holy Infant, so tender and mild,

Sleep in heavenly peace;

Sleep in heavenly peace.

No comments: