Thursday, December 25, 2008

A Kid's Christmas













As per tradition, the kids were allowed to open one present each on Christmas Eve night. Of course, that package was specially selected by mom and was a new pair of pajamas. They expected this, as usual, but Ethan couldn't resist to ask if he could open another.


Firmly, no.


The last several years I have had the kids wear reindeer antlers for the "Christmas Eve photo," but this year we noticed they were too small for the older kids. So they were upgraded to Santa hats. They were a huge hit. Ethan has been wearing his around for the last several weeks. He looks forward to wearing it next year too.


The kids, amazingly, went to bed without much fuss at around 9:00 pm. It was all a masquerade of cooperation, I tell you. I just happened to be up and about in the living room at around 3:00 am when what do my ears hear, but a bedroom door opening softly and two eyes peering over the banister to the living room below.


"Get back to bed, Ethan!"


About two minutes later, yet another door opens. This time to the girls' room, and no it wasn't Elise.


"Get back to bed, Heidi!"


"But I just have to go to the bathroom! I wasn't going to peek!"


Hmmmm....


The doors remained closed until about 7:00 am. I instantly knew it was Ethan, it always is, and I waited, hoping he would come wake us first so we could go down together.


What was I thinking? It's CHRISTMAS MORNING!!!!



Eventually Eric and I make it downstairs, with two sleepy little girls in tow. Heidi and Ethan had torn apart their carefully crafted arrangement from Santa. It was strewn blissfully across the floor. But I couldn't help but smile as they excitedly showed me everything Santa brought them, exclaiming over each one.


Santa is just magic, no matter how old you are.


Presents were soon being unwrapped. Heidi was ecstatic over the new phone that Eric and I broke down and got her. It has a keyboard for texting, since that's all the kids know how to do anyway. Complete with all the bells and whistles, it is far cooler than either of our phones can even dream about. It looks more like a tiny computer than a phone.


The other success in the Heidi department....I actually selected two coats which she said she would wear!!! I can't believe my luck. One is a warm, fluffy coat with a fur-lined hood (but not too puffy, it must fit perfectly) for her everyday wear. The other is a way-cute wool pea-coat that fits her like a dream. Way to go Mom! (Why two coats, you ask? She was far-lacking in the outer-wear department, and have you been to Old Navy lately? My new favorite store!!! Awesome sale!)


Ethan is a much easier client to please. Give him remote-control something that moves, or something to build or make, and you're gold. He got a set of two fighting remote-control helicopters that have been happily buzzing around our house all day. And an assortment of building toys (think Legos to the extreme), with some paper airplane folding guides. Forget the clothes. No practicality, please.


The little girls were half-asleep for much of the mayhem, so mainly what caught their attention was anything that lit up and made a bunch of noise. They equally liked each others gifts and shared them quite nicely for most of the day. Erica gave out a few hours later and took a monster nap, which was as pleasant to her as to the rest of us. Elise, however, hung in there. No naps for her. She's four, after all, and heaven forbid a four-year-old to take a nap!





No comments: