Sunday, June 17, 2012

Fathers

I have three very important men in my life...


I was lucky enough to find my soulmate at the tender age of eighteen. Eric was the first Returned Missionary I ever dated, and I never looked back! My dad told me many years later that he remembered the phone call I made home after I met him for the first time. Once he heard that Eric was a Returned Missionary, he knew I was a goner!

I feel so blessed to be married to a man who honors his priesthood, is a loving father and partner, and is my best friend. He has always been a hard worker, and devotes countless hours to serving others. He is a great example to me of unconditional love and acceptance. I feel so blessed that we were able to be sealed for time and eternity in the Boise, Idaho temple almost eighteen years ago! It is amazing to think that I am at the point now that half of my life has been spent with this wonderful man!



Most of my fondest memories involve some sort of adventure with my dad. He was always the cool water-skiing, rock-climbing, mountain-biking guy that everyone else wished they were related to! In particular, I loved the years we spent learning to waterski after we got our first boat. I was twelve years old when he taught me how to drive the boat while he skiied. I felt so grown-up and important because I felt that he trusted me.

Over the years I have felt our bond increase. I love our long Sunday night conversations where we talk about everything from music to work to kids to church. He has always been such an amazing example to me of generosity and love. It was from him that I learned how to gain a testimony of the gospel. I so appreciate his priesthood leadership over our family, and have felt the strength from his testimony and priesthood blessings. I can always count on him for the best advice and counsel. I feel so blessed to have him as my father!



This is our first Father's Day without Brady. I have been thinking about him all week, missing his smile, his warm embrace, and his presence in our lives. I will always be grateful for his loving welcome to me into the White clan. He loved his family so much. His grandkids were his world. He never let an opportunity pass him by to express how much he loved us. Just this week, we were having issues with one of our cars. Eric mentioned how much he wished he could call his dad to ask for advice, like he always did before. It struck me hard on how much I wished we could just talk to him about anything. We miss him so much.

I will eternally be grateful to Brady for his example of hard work and dedication to his family, and his strength to endure so many years of sickness. I never heard him complain, even when I knew that he felt so ill and weak. He was a loving father, and raised four amazing children. I feel so blessed to have had him in my life, and for the wonderful son he raised!

Happy Father's Day!

No comments: