Sunday, July 17, 2011
A Word About Harry....
On Thursday night, after much anticipation and excitement, Heidi and I went to see the opening midnight showing of the final installment of Harry Potter. I had been both looking forward to and dreading this moment for the last ten years. I remember pouring over the last book of the series, after having read for two straight days, unable to get anything else done. I finished late into the night, but then reread several parts because I had to prolong the ending of it just a little longer. It was unbearable to finally close the cover on Harry Potter.
I realize that not everyone can understand this prolonged affection (dare I call it obsession?) which I have with Harry and the Wizarding World. It probably seems strange to those who have not been there since the beginning. The day of the movie, I was trying to explain the wonderful depth and meaning of the story and characters to a friend of mine who has only read the first few books, and I almost started tearing up. The themes of good conquering evil, overcoming trials which seem insurmountable through courage and hard work, making difficult decisions to always do what is right, even when it is not popular, the idea that there is always a chance for redemption, yet it is a choice to be made, and finally realizing that love truly does conquor all are all beautifully interwoven into the fabric of Harry's world. And then J.K. Rowling's masterful story-telling, with her plot-twists, fully developed characters, and complete fabrication of an entire new world, is what I call real "magic." It still blows my mind that she didn't leave a single string unconnected through seven books. In fact, every detail was important in every book, because you never knew when a small piece of information in book two would return in book six, with great significance!
So on Thursday night I got to go along with Harry, Ron, and Hermione on their final adventure. It was intense, dramatic, thrilling, and touching all at the same time. I don't know anyone who could escape a few tears as Harry entered the Forbidden Forest for the last time, with the intention of dying to save the world from Voldemort's evil. Especially as he spoke to the vision of his parents, asking them to stay with him, and his mother's reply was, "Always!" And then the final culmination of the story, when time is sped up and we see a glimpse into Harry's future life, was truly precious and I was so glad they included it in the movie.
Now here's to hoping that we will get to hear more about James, Albus, and Lilly Potter's adventures at Hogwarts. They are the children of a Potter and a Weasley, after all, so trouble and adventure are bound to follow!
I found a link to this blog on MSN the day of the movie's release and I really enjoyed it: The ten things we will miss most about Harry Potter. Check it out if you haven't already.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment